Old 18-04-2014, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default bits of spring

Ecnerwal wrote:

My garlic (which I got in horribly late last fall) is performing
"textbook" - ie, what those who scribble much claim it should do (put
out roots in the winter but not put up shots until now) - where I
usually have 6-8" tall greens that have been laughing at the cold all
winter by now. We'll have to see if it does better or worse than normal.

i've planted fairly late and fairly early
and still had edible garlic.

so far the largest differences i've been
able to influence are by selecting the largest
cloves for planting and making sure there is
enough space between them. the rest is via
normal things like nutrients, moisture, and
then the less adjustable conditions like
the weather.

a few weeks ago i planted a half dozen
cloves that i had sitting around waiting for
the ground to thaw. they were still in
fairly good condition. dunno if they will
finish along with the rest that i planted
last fall or if they'll go longer. we'll
see...

songbird