Old 19-04-2014, 01:35 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren[_3_] View Post
My Boughton Bride seems to have given up the ghost, probably due
to waterlogging. The location is normally well-drained, but does
saturate in continual, heavy rain.

My Clematis flammula shoot has gone flop, so I have watered it,
but am not optimistic. It's not supposed to get wilt, but even
species clematis often get something very like wilt with me.
Unless it picks up pronto, I will treat it as wilt.

The same happened to my C. florida, which I have put back in a
pot - it has survived two bouts of 'wilt' but I wouldn't bet on
a third.

Mutter. Any ideas on the wilt-like problem?
I used to think I was getting wilt on clematis - lengths of stem just flopping and keeling over. Then I realised it was snails having gnawed on the skin of the stem some distance below. Now I make sure I don't prune within 4-6 ft of the ground, so that everything up to that height is woody rather than green and tender. But I don't expect you get snail problems where you are.