Old 20-04-2014, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Guerilla gardening

Winters_Lackey wrote:

Then today I got my replacement tree from Gurney's for the one that
died (a Goldrush). For some reason, they threw in an extra free
tree, a Pixie Crunch. Lovely apples, but the two I have are
impossible to keep totally free of rust because there are lots of
cedar trees on this block.

Have you guessed where I'm going? Yep, I took the tree to the park
and planted it. I am the guerilla gardener.

I don't know apples from apples...

It may just be a matter of good customer relations since one died but
unless you have other apples on your place or near your property...
you may need the other as a pollinator variety so your favoured tree
will set fruit or will fruit more abundantly.

I'd suggest checking it out ASAP.

There is a Liberty tree about a quarter of a mile from the new tree,
and that is a good pollinator for both Pixie Crunch and GoldRush.

You would be very lucky, usual practice is to plant the pollinator next to
the target. You are counting on a significant number of bees visiting one
then the other without a nest return in between.