Old 21-04-2014, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Containing wild blackberries

We've got a resident population of wild blackberries here , and they are
a real pain to harvest - thorns . And not just thorns , but wicked curved
little bas***ds that dig deeper the harder you pull and then break off deep
so you have to dig them out . But my wife likes them well , so do I ...
so I've been trying different things to be able to harvest them . This year
I've "bundled" them by tieing a string around several plants . Started off
by removing dead and diseased canes , of course , but this seems to solve
the "tangled" problem with these . I also cut them all at about chest height
, expecting the remaining canes to produce better . As this year's new canes
grow , I plan to guide them into the containing string/cord , so next year
I'll only have to prune this year's fruiting canes . This just might work !
--
Snag
She makes