Old 22-04-2014, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Winters_Lackey Winters_Lackey is offline

Default seed catalogs

songbird wrote in news:b5ee2b-a99.ln1@ID-
306963.user.uni-berlin.de:

Winters_Lackey wrote:
songbird wrote:
Winters_Lackey wrote:

I garden two yards, plus 2 plots in our community garden, and I'd
happily take on more if it were available.

that's a bit of fun. where are you at?

A first ring suburb of St. Louis, Missouri, USA.

i'd assume that means the lot sizes are not
very large?

Both lots are 6750 sq ft, but our house takes up quite a bit of it. The
little house we rent out is very small, and has a big back yard that I
do not rent with the house. The raised beds in the community garden are
each ~50 sq ft.

are you growing for market or for mostly your
own use or ?

Exclusively for our own use. Anything we can't use, we give to
family/friends/neighbors/whomever. Last autumn I took a bunch of
sunchokes to a coffee shop that I frequent occasionally, and some to the
Penzey's spice store for the employees. This year, I might consider
selling the sunchokes, though we really should eat more of them. They
are full of inulin, which is a prebiotic that feeds the nice yogurt
bacterias.

Fun fact, though bacteria is already plural, when refering to more than
one species of bacteria, it is correct to use the word, bacterias.

I've posted enough times here that I really should introduce myself. My
name is obviously Bryan, and I'm a 53 YO happily married guy who is
fairly obsessed with edible gardening, though it took decades for me to
get good at it. I'm also into cooking from scratch. I've taken a
sabatical from working outside the home to finish my first novel, so I
have lots of time to devote to those two passions.

I've been on Usenet for 16+ years, mostly alt.punk (I'm an aged punk
rocker who sang in a crazy lefty fusion punk band for 10+ years), and
more recently, rec.food.cooking, where bad cooking and flame wars are
far too frequent. One thing that might be of interest to this NG, or
might not, is my layman's knowledge of dietary fats. rec.gardens.edible
seems to be mostly on-topic, and that is a happy thing.

songbird

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."