Old 22-04-2014, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Containing wild blackberries

Terry Coombs wrote:
Winters_Lackey wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in
:

We've got a resident population of wild blackberries here , and
they are
a real pain to harvest - thorns . And not just thorns , but wicked
curved little bas***ds that dig deeper the harder you pull and then
break off deep so you have to dig them out . But my wife likes them
well , so do I ... so I've been trying different things to be
able to harvest them . This year I've "bundled" them by tieing a
string around several plants . Started off by removing dead and
diseased canes , of course , but this seems to solve the "tangled"
problem with these . I also cut them all at about chest height ,
expecting the remaining canes to produce better . As this year's
new canes grow , I plan to guide them into the containing
string/cord , so next year I'll only have to prune this year's
fruiting canes . This just might work !

It will work, I'm laughing because of all the hours I've spent
training those canes, and pruning. Blackberries are a labor of love.
They make raspberries seem easy. The question is, is it worth it?
If my wife liked them (and mine does as well), the answer is, yes.
Everyone should have your *problem*.

She's hung with me thru thick and thin for over 40 years . A little
blood and a few scratches is a small price to pay .

When I used to go pick wild blackberries, I would wear my old leather motorcycle
jacket, which save lots of pokes.