Old 26-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Oz

Default Pesticides and farm kids

Sirius writes

I know a lady who had a son in 1997. He was born blind and disabled and has
since died. She said this was caused by the spraying of Benzomate on brussel
sprouts in a nearby field, while she was pregnant, IIRC.

(What is Benzomate? Is it still used?)

Acaricide active: Benzoximate (so I doubt ever used on sprouts).

Reported 1972, manuf Nippon Soda.

Control of spider mite on fruits, vines and ornamentals.

Very toxic (~50ppm), not currently approved in the UK for any use.
May never have been.

I doubt very much that she has the name right.

More likely is Benlate, (benomyl) a fungicide (MBC).

Very widely used, approved, very low toxicity, non-mutagenic.
If the above symptoms were caused by this product it's widespread use on
pretty well all crops would have produced an unmissable epidemic by
about 1980.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.