Old 24-04-2014, 11:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
Ester Ester is offline

Default Maple tree 3 feet from house

"micky" wrote in message
I have a tiny lot, 1/20th of an acre, iirc, including the space the
house is on. It's a town house, end of group.

The first owner did great landscaping but some things have died.

I've planted some stuff myself, but I really like it when trees grow on
their own.

One tulip tree is about 40 feet tall now, at the edge of the property.

And a second tulip tree has reached 8 feet in only 3 years. It will be
a good replacement for a pine tree nearby which grew funny and has had
most of its limbs broken off by snow. and is probably going to die. .

And a third tree has started growning, also about 3 years ago. This
maple is only 3 or 4 feet tall now, but the problem is, maybe, that it's
only 3 feet from the house, from the front corner of the house.

Is this maple tree a problem? For the foundation maybe, which is
cinder block, about 6 feet below grade, and which so far doesn't leak at
all.** The sump pump is in that corner, but the two 4" corrugated
perforated black plastic pipes that feed it come in 3 or 4 feet from the
corner, so I'm not sure if there is any drain pipe outside buried at the
corner itself or within 3 feet of it. And if there were, I don't know
if that would be a problem. Would the maple tree roots head for the
perforated plastic drain pipe? It's about a foot below the basement
floor, so it's about 7 feet below ground

Thanks a lot for any help on this.

** (Even though the house has settled a little and there is one one-foot
crack in the sheet rock in my bedroom, between the bedroom door and the
bathroom door.) .

Too close to the house, and yes the roots will head towards water. If it's
a silver maple, don't waste your time transplanting. They grow too fast,
they're too soft. Once the tree grows to a decent height, the branches
will break in the wind.