Old 25-04-2014, 01:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Moles / Voles

said:
Will they eat seeds? It is so damn cold here this year I don't know if the
seeds didn't germinate or if something ate them. I just replanted
everything. Still haven't put the peppers in, they are better off in the
greenhouse. Our frost date is April 15 yet I have never planted later than
April 1. Is it cold everywhere?

Moles will not eat seeds, but can push up the soil and disturb the roots
enough to damage emerging seedlings.

Voles will eat some seeds but their main diet is vegetation (leaves, flowers,
fruits, shoots, roots, bulbs and tubers).

What often causes seeds to fail in cool, damp conditions are insects (seed
maggot, wireworms) and fungus. I've had problems myself with seed
maggots:

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/444/444-231/444-231.html

And yes, large parts of US have had much colder than normal temperatures
this winter, compared to the recent past. On the other hand, some areas
of the US (and the world) have been *much warmer* than normal.

http://www.un-spider.org/about-us/ne...l-temperature-
anomalies-us-and-europe

--
Pat in Plymouth MI