Old 26-04-2003, 12:24 PM
swroot

Default Pesticides and farm kids

swroot wrote:

Oz wrote:

Sirius writes

I know a lady who had a son in 1997. He was born blind and disabled and
has since died. She said this was caused by the spraying of Benzomate
on brussel sprouts in a nearby field, while she was pregnant, IIRC.

(What is Benzomate? Is it still used?)

[-]

More likely is Benlate, (benomyl) a fungicide (MBC).

Very widely used, approved, very low toxicity, non-mutagenic.
If the above symptoms were caused by this product it's widespread use on
pretty well all crops would have produced an unmissable epidemic by
about 1980.

You might be interested in

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/actives/benomyl.htm

Further to that you should note that the high cost of litigation over
crop damage due to contamination with atrizine and possible effects on
human health resulted in Dupont voluntarily ceased production of Benlate
in 2001. It is no longer manufactured in the US or approved for use on
food crops in the US.

regards
sarah

--
What d'ya do? You can't make nothing out of nothing
Everybody needs a start