Old 25-04-2014, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default trailing perennials

On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

I have just built a retaining wall (about 2 foot high) in my son's
garden. It faces south and we are looking for something to trail down
over the brickwork. Whatever we choose will probably need to look
after itself, but not spread too much. Aubrieta springs to mind.
Dianthus alpinus, Geranium cinereum, Helianthemum maybe? Any other low
maintenance suggestions? TIA

Some of the rosemaries look wonderful trailing over a wall in a
not-too-cold garden and lavenders billowing out are most attractive. We
have a double Silene maritima which trails down from pots on pillars. It
dies back each winter but we leave the trailing stems and sure enough,
they burst into life again every spring and have done for around 5
years. It's also slightly scented, which is a great bonus. The other
thing which is extremely pretty is the small flowered Vinca minor
GertrudeJekyll. It's nothing like as thuggish as Vinca major and makes
pretty, free-flowering clumps.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=2024

*Prostrate Veronicas* are lovely from late spring into early summer, in
many shades of blue.
*Erigeron karvinskianus*, in shades of white/pink/crimson, is excellent
and flowers well (in my garden) from about April to November, then
flowers less well and mostly white for about a month either side of that.
*Geranium 'Giuseppe' has tiny evergreen leaves and dark magenta flowers
in late spring/early summer.
While you're waiting for the perenniels to give enough colour, why not
plant a few annuals this year to fill in the gaps? There are oodles of
hanging basket plants to try, including *Bidens, trailing Verbena,
Lobelia, Brachyscome (sp?), Laurentia, smaller trailing Fuchsias and
even Tumbling Tomatoes (although would need more care).*

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London