Old 25-04-2014, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default trailing perennials

On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

I have just built a retaining wall (about 2 foot high) in my son's
garden. It faces south and we are looking for something to trail down
over the brickwork. Whatever we choose will probably need to look
after itself, but not spread too much. Aubrieta springs to mind.
Dianthus alpinus, Geranium cinereum, Helianthemum maybe? Any other low
maintenance suggestions? TIA

Some of the rosemaries look wonderful trailing over a wall in a
not-too-cold garden and lavenders billowing out are most attractive. We
have a double Silene maritima which trails down from pots on pillars. It
dies back each winter but we leave the trailing stems and sure enough,
they burst into life again every spring and have done for around 5
years. It's also slightly scented, which is a great bonus. The other
thing which is extremely pretty is the small flowered Vinca minor
GertrudeJekyll. It's nothing like as thuggish as Vinca major and makes
pretty, free-flowering clumps.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=2024

Many thanks. Sounds like the last two have a long flowering season too,
which will be a bonus

Yes indeed, the Vinca has been flowering for a couple of months and is
still. The Silene goes on right until autumn and is now in full leaf
and starting to look fresh and green and lovely.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com