Old 26-04-2014, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default To crock or not to crock?

On 25/04/2014 20:49, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 25/04/2014 13:11, Indigo wrote:

[...]
So do you crock or not?

Use a small piece of weed-proof membrane to cover the hole. This allows
water through, but not soil. It has the added benefit of stopping ants
entering the pot through the base and excavating it.

Ah, now ants in the pots are a recurring problem for me so that's
another good idea to try. We have sandy soil and ants get everywhere - I
leave them alone unless they start coming indoors or make a nest under a
plant and cause problems, but this spring I found several pots I'd had
standing out over winter had been invaded by red ant colonies.

Thanks Jeff.

--
Sue