Old 26-04-2014, 06:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Garden problem

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 8:37:23 AM UTC-4, Marko wrote:
I would be grateful for any sound advice to my current garden issue. I

moved into my property 18 months ago and the garden had been poorly

maintained, overgrown and heavily populated by weeds. Last year I

trimmed and mowed and added evergreen complete using the push along seed

disperser, this had mixed results. Despite following the instructions to

the letter and regular watering and mowing the lawn was just did not

meet expectations. I have purposely left the lawn so far this year to

see what I am up against.

Perhaps this is incorrect but seem to recall May being perfect for

undertaking gardening work. I am hoping to get started this week and

have a lawn fit for my young children to enjoy throughout summer. Any

You don't say where you're located, but I'm guessing it's
the UK. That makes a big difference in the problems and
solutions. It's also not clear what the problem is.
"didn't meet expectations"? "mixed results"?

I will tell you this. In your area, I doubt May is the
best time for lawn reseeding, renovation, etc. Early Fall is the best time for cool season grasses. Then you have
weather on your side. Cooler temps, less competition from
weeds, time for the lawn to get established before the
following summer. Starting in May, you're going to need
more water, have more competition from weeds and will need
to keep it watered frequently in the heat of summer because
the new grass isn't established yet.

Without seeing it and knowing what's going on, it's
impossible to give advice. Could just need some fertilizer
and weed control, aeration, lime, etc. Could need to be
over-seeded. Or it could be crap grass that will never look
like you want and it requires killing it, reseeding or sodding, etc.

recommendations for archiving the best results are very welcome. I am

open to using pesticides (or perhaps not?).

At my previous address I had a similar problem, to remedy I stripped the

turf, rotovated, allowed regrowth and treated before adding top soil and

turf. I was very happy with the results but it was tough work and

extreamly time consuming. Although this garden is much smaller my time

is sparse with a young family. This said I'm not shy of getting stuck

in, if returfing or reseeding is the only way, so be it. I have tried to

attach some photos, if not here I will post later. Many thanks for any

suggestions.

Marko.

Marko