Old 26-04-2014, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default trailing perennials

On 2014-04-25 11:31:41 +0000, stuart noble said:

I have just built a retaining wall (about 2 foot high) in my

son's
garden. It faces south and we are looking for something to

trail down
over the brickwork. Whatever we choose will probably need to

look
after itself, but not spread too much. Aubrieta springs to

mind.
Dianthus alpinus, Geranium cinereum, Helianthemum maybe? Any

other low
maintenance suggestions? TIA

Just a word of caution.

If the wall has lawn at it foot, think carefully. We have a low
15" wall, that swmbo planted with trailing plants, which then
spread down and onto the lawn. Mowing the lawn was a pain and I
tended to mow the trailing plants as well, much to swmbo's
anger. If you leave then, the grass underneath grows up through
as well.

Make sure if you have a lawn, whatever you plant does not reach
the bottom of the wall!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales