Old 27-04-2014, 12:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Relaying slabs in garden.

On 26/04/14 22:15, David Hill wrote:
On 26/04/2014 21:21, James Jones wrote:

I have some "stepping stones" set in to my lawn: 9x18 cms and also a
couple of paving slabs : 60x75 cms which have sunk.
Is it better to relay them on "blobs" of cement rather than just
trying to get a sand base nice and level. I am think if large blobs
of cement are used it will be easier to get them level by tapping them
down with a rubber mallet. (The paving slabs take no vehicles)

Just use soil, you can get your level before putting down the slabs.
in 2 or 3 years the slabs will appear to have sunk again, it is in fact
the level of the lawn rising, thanks to worms.
Remember you should keep the slabs just below the level of the lawn to
prevent damage to your mower.

And sand also works fine. I've just reused a few random slabs as
stepping stones. Yes - the first couple are a bit fiddly but it gets
quicker and it's not really a huge hassle.