Old 27-04-2014, 07:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Relaying slabs in garden.

"James Jones" wrote in message
news

I have some "stepping stones" set in to my lawn: 9x18 cms and also a
couple of paving slabs : 60x75 cms which have sunk.
Is it better to relay them on "blobs" of cement rather than just
trying to get a sand base nice and level. I am think if large blobs
of cement are used it will be easier to get them level by tapping them

down with a rubber mallet. (The paving slabs take no vehicles)

They sank because they are on topsoil which migrates out from under them
helped by worms/moles etc.
Lift them, dig out the topsoil and fill with hard core (any old bricks etc),
tamp it down as hard as you can and top off with sand.
Don't use any cement, there's no point, it's just a bodge method.