Old 27-04-2014, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default Relaying slabs in garden.

"James Jones" wrote in message
news

I have some "stepping stones" set in to my lawn: 9x18 cms and also a
couple of paving slabs : 60x75 cms which have sunk.
Is it better to relay them on "blobs" of cement rather than just
trying to get a sand base nice and level. I am think if large blobs
of cement are used it will be easier to get them level by tapping them
down with a rubber mallet. (The paving slabs take no vehicles)

As you will have gathered from the other posts, they are always going to end
up below the lawn surface, either because the lawn is rising, or the worms
are removing soil from under them. In this case, I would just lift them and
put sharp sand in the holes then replace the slabs. When doing it from
scratch, I would just lay the slabs on the lawn where you want them, and let
them sink, it doesn't take long.

Steve