Old 27-04-2014, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Let it be Let it be is offline

Default OT R 4 this morning

Janet wrote:
In article , lid says...

Nick Maclaren wrote:

I don't normally post on this sort of thing, so shall not continue.
The reasons that it is so barbaric is that the majority of people
on death row never had a chance - not just the (deliberate)
deprivation of their childhood, but they didn't get fair trials
(due to race prejudice, not being defended properly and more), and
quite often are mentally subnormal or were sentenced for a crime
committed when they were children. In a few cases, they have been
killed despite evidence having appeared between conviction and
prosecution showing that they almost certainly were NOT guilty.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I really think that you live on another planet other than earth with
a statement like that.

Then you are disregarding the ample research evidence of death row in
the USA, and (previously) in the UK. The proven miscarriages of
justice for reasons Nick refers to, were a major factor in abolishing
the death penalty in the UK.

Janet

Janet,

I stand by that statement unreservedly - and find the cutting of my post the
way you have a little naughty!

And to respond to your statement, as always in life, there will be errors
and no amount of law passing will ever eradicate that.

Now did you not read the bit in my posts where I state that I am not an
advocate of the death sentence, but I do believe in the harshest possible
punishment for all convicted prisoners - don't you?

And I was around in 1965 when the abolition of the death penalty was enacted
and read all the arguments for and against that were available then in the
press (and that was a time when the media usually printed the truth and
without all the misleading headlines of today - you could even find a 'bobby
on the beat' then and trust him not to 'stitch you up' just to get your
fingerprints on file [the use of DNA in criminal investigations was unknown
then])