Old 29-04-2014, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RG[_3_] RG[_3_] is offline

Default Leek/Allium rust

On 28/04/2014 20:11, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , RG wrote:
Posting this on behalf of Spider while she's preparing dinner.

The shop-bought leeks have a dark outer layer that may be rust. She's
wondering if this is safe to put on the compost heap, in case the rust
virus may survive and infect her decorative alliums.

Any advice please?

Not very likely. Rusts are fungi, and wind- not soil-borne.
Apparently the decorative alliums are generally resistant to
leek rust, anyway. But not impossible.

I would compost them, but the only decorative Allium I grow
is christophii, which is almost unkillable.

Thank you Nick.
We do like to compost as much as possible.
Spider said that someone on URG 'would know their onions' groan

--
RG