Old 29-04-2014, 01:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Moles / Voles

said:

What about Pepper plants? I planted 10 and they were gone. I planted
another 1 yesterday as a test
and this morning it is gone. I have never had anything eat pepper plants. I
am so frustrated

Is there anything left, like a stump or bare stem? Did you plant into
a freshly cleared bed?

The pest that is most likely to take out new transplants (in my garden) is
the cutworm. Two tactics I use to limit the threat is to completely clear
a bed of weeds and litter one week before I set out transplants. The other
is (with larger transplants) to wrap the stems with a strip of newspaper
when I set them out. For smaller transplants, you could cut the bottom off
a yogurt tub and push it down into the soil to create a 'wall' around the
plant.

(For some reason my newsreader keeps claiming there are no unread
messages in this group, so I finally just asked for the dozen most recent
and found your post.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."