Old 30-04-2014, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Exotic vegetables

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Yard long bean (Vigna unguiculata subsp. sesquipedalis)

These need a longer season than I really have; they're a pole bean that
does well if I get started as early as possible. In the U.K. you should be
fine.

Thanks, but I wouldn't bet on it being better here :-( It all depends
on how much warmth and light it needs when cropping. Fairly often,
even my French beans stop flowering early because of a cold spell.

Cherokee Trail of Tears bean

I grow these most years; pole bean that's left on to maturity for dry
beans; very tasty and very productive.

Thanks. Have you tried them green?

Haven't tried the others; I'm adding "Corona" beans, because I encountered
them in a cooking podcast ("The Splendid Table"; saw the host at a garden
conference several years ago) Bought some online and will plant. They're
billed as a runner bean, so should be OK on my usual six-pole teepee.

So is "gigantes", incidentally.

And I forgot one other - Chenopodium giganteum. The slugs cropped
the first seedlings in toto, so I am trying again.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.