Old 30-04-2014, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Exotic vegetables

In article ,
John Rye wrote:

In 2008 I grew the Mouse Melon. ...

I have grown Achocha. ...

Thanks. Mine will have to look after themselves outside, with
no special position. If we have a good summer, they should do
OK - if not, probably not!

I have also grown Cherokee Trail of Tears Climbing French Bean. It is trouble
free to grow, has an interesting history and produces a reasonable crop. I
used to grow a number of different varieties of heritage climbing french
beans, but I have now settled on "Mr Fearns Purple Flowered" which looks
pretty, gives a good crop, and freezes well.

I grow blue ones and borlotti - I used to grow pea bean, but it's
not useful enough for the space. I have not had much joy with
green climbing French beans, and it seems that Mr Fearns Purple
Flowered is currently tricky to get!

My exotic experiments this year are "Dudi Tower Hamlets" and "Starley Red
Peas" (which is actually a french bean from Jamaica) both from the Heritage
Seed Library. I am also repeating one of last years experiments the squash
"Ram's Kodu" which grew well and stored well.

I am not keen on most C. pepo winter squash (Gem/Rolet excepted),
and grow a form of C. maxima that we call "Piers's Pumpkin", as I
got the seed from my brother in New Zealand and he had no idea what
it was called! It does well in the British climate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.