Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default chive talkin'

In article
"David Hare-Scott" writes:
songbird wrote:
I've forgotten what the rest of the English speaking world calls
them. Is it turnips??????

swedes, they are a type of turnip, but not the
same as the purple topped globe turnips which are
very common. these are pale yellow inside and
turn yellow/orange more when cooked. they have
a fairly mild flavor to me. turnips i like to
fry up in the pan in a little olive oil until
they get a little brown on the outside. to me
much better than potatoes...

This is where common names don't travel very well. I think we are talking
about two different but related plants.

Perhaps this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga
would be useful in the discussion.

To muddy the language waters, I grew up (in the USA) with my mother
calling these things (boiled and mashed) "turnips." I don't care
much for rutabegas, but I like turnips in moderation.

The thing you buy in the supermarket
here called a 'swede' is roundish, tapering towards the root, purplish skin
on top and cream below with off-white flesh that stays dirty-white when
cooked. The flavour is quite strong and to my taste unpleasant. I am
guessing you call this a turnip and the yellow/orange one rutabaga? I
haven't seen the yellow/orange one here.

Drew Lawson Some men's dreams
for others turn to nightmares.
I never would have thought this
in my wildest dreams.