Old 01-05-2014, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fuschia[_4_] Fuschia[_4_] is offline

Default Alan Titchmarsh & road verges

On Thu, 01 May 2014 14:49:36 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 01 May 2014 13:01:41 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 01/05/2014 12:07, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 01 May 2014 10:32:28 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

On 30/04/2014 18:18, sacha wrote:
I have always had a lot of time for Alan Titchmarsh. Here, he is saying
exactly what I've said for years. He has a bit more clout! ;-) Our own
council is very good about this and hedgerows and verges are things of
real beauty round the South Hams. Please press your council into
following this campaign and keeping wildflowers in the verges for the
benefit of insects and humans:
http://www.plantlife.org.uk/roadvergecampaign
Than sounds fine, however I find that when they grow tall verges can
obstruct the view of the road. This is especial true of the central
reservation of dual carriageways. I am not usually on the side of elf
and safety, but in this case I am.

Having tall vegetation obscuring the view of the other side of a dual
carriageway at night is a good thing, it obscures headlights.

Provided that you don't have any at grade crossings on the road.
It is dangerous if you lose the sight line to potential hazards.

A19 is quite well maintained and they leave the verges to be colonised
by wild primrose, anenomes, daffodils, poppies and orchids. They grass
cut late after most of the various wild flowers have set seed.

and cow parsley; and ragwort that kills horses.

Ragwort doesn't kill horses.
Horses that eat ragwork kill horses.