Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel rbel is offline

Default Alan Titchmarsh & road verges

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 18:18:21 +0100, sacha wrote:

I have always had a lot of time for Alan Titchmarsh. Here, he is saying
exactly what I've said for years. He has a bit more clout! ;-) Our
own council is very good about this and hedgerows and verges are things
of real beauty round the South Hams. Please press your council into
following this campaign and keeping wildflowers in the verges for the
benefit of insects and humans:
http://www.plantlife.org.uk/roadvergecampaign

Whilst I have little or no time for Alan Titmarsh, on this occassion I
support his campaign without reservation.

Last year, when some local verges were not cut back due to LA budget
constraints I thought it was a redeeming feature of an unfortunate
situation. Then a local councillor decided to campaign for the
cutting to resumed on elfin safety grounds. I asked him to cite any
verges that were, as a result of the taller growth, causing a
demonstrable danger to road users - needless to say he did not
respond.

Obviously there is a need for those verges and hedges that potentialy
obstruct sightlines to be managed properly, but far too often the
growth is cut with absolutely no thought for the environmental
benefits of not cutting back until the flowering and seeding process
is complete.
--
rbel