Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Comments please.

What about a box hedge (Buxus sempervirens)?

Leylandii cypresses are difficult because all the green
growth is on the top and the bottom bits of the stems fall
out, making them bald eventually. So when you lop them off
they look dreadful. Ditto with Pittosporum. If you cut the
top off when they're young they may be OK but won't be that
nice to look at for several years.

Here are a few Box images that may make you interested.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/gard...elephants.html

http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/acatal...oTwwod6pw AyA

I know they're UK sites, but it might give you some ideas.

Box doesn't seem to need that much water (well, ours don't
they're often starved of water through the summer, but
they're still going strong after 35 years).

In UK you can buy little boxes of, say, 10 Box at garden
centres, and plant them yourself, a couple of feet, apart
and wait for a while to see what happens. They cost under
$30 for a dozen I imagine. Our neighbour did this and his
10 foot x 30 foot hedge looks great. Also, they grow
without anybody noticing, so before your neighbour is aware,
you'll have a hedge. Make sure any hedge you plant is on
your side of the boundary, then only you will be able to cut
it down.

Good luck.

someone

"David Hill" wrote in message
In a Yuku group I belong to a member from South Carolina
US of A posted the following

"I have been wanting a privacy fence, or screen (bushes or
trees) in my back yard since 2007 when my backyard
neighbor cut down all the Redtip bushes that gave me a
private back yard and NO view of his home. I lost that
privacy 7 years ago.

They are nice people but their yard is a distraction to me
because they drive vehicles back there from time to time
and have other events that I would like blocked. I have
lost my privacy.

The cost of putting up a privacy fence could cost $3000 or
more. Not in my budget. So I have opted to plant
bushes/trees that are well known as screens. My budget is
approx. $1000.

The three choices I like a
Leyland Cypress Trees
Arborvitae
Wax Myrtle

They are fast growing, and can withstand full sun. I am
concerned with how much watering I will have to do. Water
is expensive here.

Monday (April 21) a landscaper will be visiting to give me
his suggestions. He says he has irrigation ideas that
will save me money on water, but I am concerned that the
price for this will put me back in the ballpark of the
price for a fence."

Then in a further posting she said

" Now, I know I need to get other quotes, but all the
nurseries give you "their landscaper" for the actual
planting. The other nursery that I contacted gave me
their landscaper number, and that landscaper told me they
charge $200 for their advice, BUT if I stay with the
nursery that are working for, the nursery would deduct
that $200 from the price of the trees."