Old 02-05-2014, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
philgurr philgurr is offline

Default columbine and honesty

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
These two are everywhere in the beds this year, and I couldn't be happier
about it. Gardener's friends in springtime! The Columbine is deep
purples, singles, doubles, pinks, pink and white. It seems to hybridize
spontaneously. Honesty is more monotone, purple or white, but it goes
and goes. We've managed to establish it in the hedgerows also. You do
have to thin it, though, otherwise it has a tendency to take over
complete areas...

I have a long bed of Honesty beside the short drive in. It is there for a
purpose as the seed pods act as food for the caterpillars of the Orange
Tip butterfly. This butterfly has only appeared in this part of the North
of Scotland in the last 8 years and so needs encouragement. There
seem to be plenty of them this year.

Ardmhor
40 miles north of Inverness