Old 02-05-2014, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Comments please.

On 2014-05-02 10:36:18 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Never understood why Privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium) has fallen out of
favour. Makes a superb healthy evergreen hedge that is easily clipped into
shape annually and is not a thug like Lelandii (Cupressocyparis Leylandii)
that need cutting two or three times a year. That said I have no idea if it
would grow well in South Carolina, USA.

It's not reliably evergreen in the UK - it becomes deciduous if the
winters are as cold as Cambridge used to have in the 1980s. Also,
it does need cutting at least twice a year if it likes the conditions.

I agree that it's better than leylandii!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

We have a very aged plant of L. ovalifolium towards the bottom of our
garden, at the start of a path in a very shady area. It's a lovely
plant, very handsome. Other than clipping it back a bit to keep the
path clear, once a year, if that, we never do more and here, in S.
Devon it's 100% evergreen.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com