View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 03-05-2014, 04:13 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Question lawnmower recommendation, please

The bottom part of our garden is a long way from the house (and electricity) and has grass paths. In places, the paths are narrow and undulating.

We have been where for forty years, and for about the first 15 I used a simple pull start 'small' two stroke Flymo. It was light to carry, started readily (even first time in the spring) and lasted almost for ever. About 10 years ago, I bought a new Flymo with the Honda engine, It was so heavy and cumbersome, I hardly used it. I am only 5'5" and also found it difficult to pull the start cord. It seemed to have been designed for someone of more althletic build than me. It has been in the back of the shed for the last 9 years.

Until a couple of years ago, I managed with a 'cheap' push four wheel petrol hover mower. My wife is disabled and I'm 'past my best' and I decided to buy a power driven one. I needed a narrow mower because of the state of the paths and bought a Ryobi, 16" I think. It is fairly basic but does well enough in cutting terms. We don't need a quality finish. However, it has always been the very devil to start from cold: could easily be a five minute job with me exhausted. It doesn't matter how carefully you prime it with the push bulb.

Recommendations for a mower of this size/type that have a reputation for easy start, would be much appreciated.