Old 04-05-2014, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Frank Booth Frank Booth is offline

Default Comments please.

"David Hill" wrote in message
In a Yuku group I belong to a member from South Carolina US of A posted
the following

"I have been wanting a privacy fence, or screen (bushes or trees) in my
back yard since 2007 when my backyard neighbor cut down all the Redtip
bushes that gave me a private back yard and NO view of his home. I lost
that privacy 7 years ago.

They are nice people but their yard is a distraction to me because they
drive vehicles back there from time to time and have other events that I
would like blocked. I have lost my privacy.

The cost of putting up a privacy fence could cost $3000 or more. Not in
my budget. So I have opted to plant bushes/trees that are well known as
screens. My budget is approx. $1000.

The three choices I like a
Leyland Cypress Trees
Arborvitae
Wax Myrtle

They are fast growing, and can withstand full sun. I am concerned with
how much watering I will have to do. Water is expensive here.

Monday (April 21) a landscaper will be visiting to give me his
suggestions. He says he has irrigation ideas that will save me money on
water, but I am concerned that the price for this will put me back in
the ballpark of the price for a fence."

Then in a further posting she said

" Now, I know I need to get other quotes, but all the nurseries give you
"their landscaper" for the actual planting. The other nursery that I
contacted gave me their landscaper number, and that landscaper told me
they charge $200 for their advice, BUT if I stay with the nursery that
are working for, the nursery would deduct that $200 from the price of
the trees."

Have you considered Berberis Darwinii. It's used widely in the UK as a
hedging plant although it's great also as a standalone shrub and grows up to
8'. I would have thought it would be suitable for your area as it will
tolerate up to USDA 8 temperatures, and it is drought tolerant, but will
need more water in its first year just to get it established. It's happy in
partial shase or full sun. Here's the details..

http://www.findmeplants.co.uk/plant-...inii-0559.aspx