Old 06-05-2014, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea can I get Blue flowers?

On Sun, 04 May 2014 14:33:32 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2014 11:33:39 +0100, Mick wrote:

Hi all,
I split and transplanted a Hydrangea two years ago, it did not flower
last year, but does have flower buds forming this year.

Is there anything I can dress the ground around them to get blue flowers
please?

Mick.

You need to get the soil below pH 7.0

A very easy way is water it daily with a very weak acid solution. A
bottle of vinegar in 5 gallons of water is about the right strength.
If you drink lots of real coffee always put the used grounds on the
soil.

Coffee grounds are a great soil conditioner. Great in compost too
obviously, but no reason not to use them directly.

I think it would take a long time to reduce the pH that way though.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy