Old 06-05-2014, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhododendron and toxicity to honey via bees???

On 06/05/14 10:35, Chris Hogg wrote:

Many years ago I used to keep bees, and I also grew lots of rhodies in
the garden (see my reply to Sacha on her R. Yakushimanum query). My
bees made lots of honey, typically 40 lbs per hive per season from two
hives (we were out in the country, a lot of the honey came from
brambles IIRC). I ate much of it, gave a lot away and also sold a lot
of it locally. Nobody died. Even if rhodie nectar does give poisonous-
to-humans honey, the proportion in any particular honey crop from a
few rhodie plants nearby will be small to miniscule, so will have no
detrimental effect. The fact that I got lots of honey means that the
bees didn't suffer either.

Thanks Chris - that's good to hear...