Old 06-05-2014, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhododendron and toxicity to honey via bees???

On 06/05/14 11:40, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/05/2014 09:53, Tim Watts wrote:
Hiya,

I want to plant a couple of said plants - but I keep finding articles on
the web that say that honey made by bees visiting many (all?) of the
subtypes of rhododendron end up with toxic (to humans) honey.

Is this crap or is there any truth to it?

There is an element of truth to it. Some flower nectars contain
alkaloids that are bad for humans but harmless to insects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bees_an...ls#Toxic_honey

Ah:

"Rhododendron ponticum"

That's the one the EU wants to ban... It was not on my list of potential
planters.

Some neighbours keep bees and I don't want to do anything unecessarily
adverse.

TIA

Tim

Provided the honey isn't exclusively from rhododendrons then the honey
is unlikely to be significantly affected. The dose makes the poison.

I guess - thought it was worth punting the question...

Thanks for the reply Martin