Old 06-05-2014, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Using Vinca minor as ground cover

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

I have V. minor alba growing in a shady corner on poor soil, and it is
slowly smothering everything else of comparable size there, which
includes primroses and English bluebells, so I doubt your tete a tetes
would survive. But it is slow, like it's been growing there several
years and hasn't yet completely overwhelmed everything. If I made the
effort, I could probably control it. V. major OTOH is a thug! I have
it at the opposite end of the same bed, behind a greenhouse, and the
other day I saw it pushing up through the greenhouse floor!

Yes. It doesn't completely overwhelm full-sized daffodils, but
does stop them spreading - the tete a tetes would have trouble,
and the primroses no chance.

To be fair, V. major doesn't push - it sneaks - you will already
have had a gap there. It is lily of the valley which pushes,
and can hold its own with V. major!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.