Old 06-05-2014, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhododendron and toxicity to honey via bees???

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Many years ago I used to keep bees, and I also grew lots of rhodies in
the garden (see my reply to Sacha on her R. Yakushimanum query). My
bees made lots of honey, typically 40 lbs per hive per season from two
hives (we were out in the country, a lot of the honey came from
brambles IIRC).

A bit off topic, but something that has always intrigued me.

How do you know where you bees get the honey? I know you can
buy various types of honey (ie from specific plants) but is
there any guarantee that it is really what it says on the jar?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

When it says say "Heather Honey" its normally because the hives have been
placed in an area where that is all that is in flower. So I assume the same
applies for other sorts?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs