Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default slugs & snails

"Charlie2" wrote in message ...

Against all forms of chemical repellent because even so called safe ones
can be harmful to predators who feed on slugs and snails.
How effective is the copper tape?
Could I used some scrap copper tubing from recent plumbing change
over?.
Thanks

--
Charlie2

Charlie2 I did a lot of experiments with copper wire round the perimeter of
a couple of raised beds. Whilst the copper was clean it was OK, there must
have been some form of action which the slugs didn't like. Whether it was a
chemical reaction similar to that in the marine world where Cathodic
protection is needed to protect the metals of a boat from being eaten away I
don't know, but once the copper went dull it was ineffective.

We are now trying a trial of surrounding plants with a ring of sifted
bonfire ash. We have sacks of the stuff from where a huge tree was removed.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk