Old 07-05-2014, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Guerilla gardening

On 4/25/2014 4:34 PM, songbird wrote:
Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
Another option, and a means of gaining experience without fear of loss, is
to attempt to graft the pollinator on to the producer and see if that has
any effect.

yep, some trees are three, four or five in one
grafts for those with small yards who still
want a variety.

songbird

The Ag agent here discourages multiple grafts due to the failure of most
of them surviving. That was what I wanted originally for a pear tree but
instead, on the ag agents advice, I bought a Tennousi pear. A natural
cross between a European and an Asian pear and is self-fertile. Alas, a
late frost got the blossoms this year so will have to wait until next
year to see what it is.

We had a twelve-foot tall live oak in the front yard, just like every
house here, it went to someone else's yard to live and that's where the
Tennousi is now. Getting lots of attention from neighbors so I keep an
eye on it. G

George