Old 07-05-2014, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default What's eating my garden???

krenat said:
I found several small holes in my strawberry leaves. Upon further
investigation, I found these creatures on the bottom of the leaves,
curled up. They are very small, 3-4 mm maybe. Yellowish-green body and
brown head. I don't know if they are caterpillars or larvae. I attached
a picture.
I also found holes on the leaves of my hazelnut tree, so it's possible
the same thing is eating them but I am not sure.

Does anyone have a clue what they are? Are they dangerous to the fruit
or just the leaves? How do I get rid of them?

|Filename: undor.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16000|

This could possibly be a sawfly larvae, which can look a lot like caterpillars but
are not controlled by Bt. Hand-picking (if practical) or insecticidal soap would
be the first strategies I'd recommend.

The fruit is probably safe, from these leaf-eaters at least.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored