Old 07-05-2014, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default What's eating my garden???

krenat wrote:

I found several small holes in my strawberry leaves. Upon further
investigation, I found these creatures on the bottom of the leaves,
curled up. They are very small, 3-4 mm maybe. Yellowish-green body and
brown head. I don't know if they are caterpillars or larvae. I attached
a picture.
I also found holes on the leaves of my hazelnut tree, so it's possible
the same thing is eating them but I am not sure.

Does anyone have a clue what they are? Are they dangerous to the fruit
or just the leaves? How do I get rid of them?

i've yet to find any bug which eats the leaves
of strawberries faster than they grow and spread...
some small green catepillars will curl the leaves
together but i've never bothered to get after them.

as far as bugs that get at the fruit, i make
sure when the fruit starts to ripen to pick all
of it (even any which may have fallen to the
ground) and those go to the worm farm, this way
it doesn't encourage bugs.

i've been growing strawberries without using
any sprays/*cides for some years now and they
keep on doing well.

of course, this means they also get turned
under in places every few years so the plants
can regenerate. i also add mulches/wood chips/
pine needles/shredded bark and plant peas/beans
in them in mid summer here as we can get fairly
hot and dry and they seem to do well with a bit
of shade then. i chop and drop some of the beans/
peas and some i leave for the frost to knock back.

songbird