Old 26-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Michael

Default Low cholesterol beef, humane handling"touch", behavior modifacation

Here is a science topic, related to general health, humane treatment
of commercial animals for processing, beef as an enviromental
improver...

I am in the process of developing new low cholesterol beef. So far we
have tests showing a reduction from 77mg/100gms cholesterol to
30mg/100gms cholesterol. This in our first F-1 commercial cross
utilizing a Highland-Angus cross.
( testing by AURI, Minn. University, Marshal).
We have progressed to a three-way cross which we have labled " Diarmid
cattle." We have produced 13 color types from this breeding and a net
lowering of cholesterol to under 23.4mg/100gms.( multiple sources).

I hope someone finds this information interesting?

The next topic I would like to discuse is the use of " touch", as a
behavior modification tool in the commerical beef industry. I can tame
bulls to a level I'm sure is not common in the real world! It is not a
fluke, as the method has been used on four different breeds so
far.University studies are now working on this issue, I believe I am
the first to put it to use?

For fun you may view bull surfing on www.electricscotland.com

Researchers or any interested party may visit our farm for free to see
the effects on a whole cattle herd, we have somewhere from 60-100
animals on the farm .

I am not able to quote sources for next information?

Conservation grazing tests in Europe show a ten fold increase of flora
and fauna when Highland cattle are used.

American Bison, when fed commercial grains like cattle see an
increase in cholesterol from 50mg/100gms to over 82mg/100gms! The
single most important thing cattle producers can do to improve the
health aspect of beef is feed it grasses as its main source of food.
Containment feeding of cattle, which has really been a recient
experiment since WWI, has been a failure, mainly for two reasons,
water issues and health issues.Sustainability trends will see a return
to grassfed beef. Water is the main issue!

The basic premiss is cattle convert solar energy to a useable food
source. As such food chain consentrations of toxins and mutual
evolution of man and beast, seem to indicate from my work, that an
ancient beef breed when grazed produces the safest meat source in the
world. The breed has great potential for general health issues and for
the environment. I am concerned with feeding 12 billion human beings!
Since 99% of all mutations are terminal I believe the use of
genetically modified plants... will have a long term negitive effect,
both on human health and on the survival of other species plant and
animal.

In the next few years issues of water will be more important then
issues of energy or oil? One has to wonder where governmental
leadership is... concidering the fastest growing regions are in arrid
regions with water accesss issues. Naturally someone is attempting to
own water rights!