Old 07-05-2014, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Using Vinca minor as ground cover

On 2014-05-06 17:35:08 +0000, rbel said:

There was a recent thread which mentioned Vinca minor as a potentially
good ground cover plant where it could be confined by hard landscaping
edges.

We have a large roadside border between our boundary wall and the
pavement. It is supposed to be maintained by the LA but they long ago
ceased to manage it due to budgetary constraints and advised us to
look after it ourselves. It is planted with mature conifers, some
shrubs and some tete a tete narcissi and primroses for a bit of spring
colour.

The border is in shade for much of the day and the soil is poor. To
keep the weed growth in check we were thinking of laying bark
chippings or planting some ground cover. It occurs that Vinca minor
might be useful given the growing conditions but a question is would
the Vinca strangle the tete a tete and primroses? The border is
bounded by our wall on one side and the pavement on the other which
should contain it.

You could also look at Pachysandra terminalis.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com