Old 09-05-2014, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Daffodils Reverting?

On 09/05/2014 11:47, Andrew May wrote:

About ten years ago when relaying a section of lawn I planted a whole
sack of yellow daffodils in the hope that they would naturalise. The
first couple of years they provided a glorious display but over the
years less and less have flowered.

Probably because they have become too crowded. You end up with all leaf
and blind plants with no flower. They don't store enough in the bulb
from one summer to flower the next and the cycle repeats.

Then this year a lot more flowered but they were white with small orange
centres. Is this normal? Is there anything that I can do (or shoud have
done) to maintain a full display of the big yellows daffs that I planted?

Andrew

I have seen interlopers that have grown from seed do this but I think
most of the yellow ones come more or less true from seed. At least their
seedlings remain yellow but not quite such showy flowers.

My daffodils are older than yours and are still mostly in the same
places as they were planted with the odd seedling interloper. One lot
flower very early and the others mid to late season.

BTW Wild bluebell woods in North Yorks looking gorgeous this week.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown