Old 09-05-2014, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ash trees

On 2014-05-09 10:19:13 +0000, Jeff Layman said:

Ash is always a bit late, but this year even more so. Ours is pretty
well in leaf at the top, but not much lower down. Our neighbour's
beech is almost in full leaf.

Yes beeches are well out, both green and copper. I think they're my
favourite among all trees. And yesterday at Torbay Hospital we saw a
Paulownia flowering. They've got some interesting planting in parts of
that hospital's grounds but I wonder how many people notice it!

I think you really need at least two Paulownias. One is left to its own
devices, to grow into a very attractive flowering tree. The other needs
to be stooled regularly and allowed to grow one stem with enormous
leaves. Then all you have to do is convince garden visitors that they
are identical trees!

--

Jeff