Old 11-05-2014, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spring! Baaa Humbug!

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2014 09:15:58 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Lol! From my window, I can see Ray out in the biggest greenhouse, doing
the watering. With everyone at it, it can still take a couple of hours
to get everywhere done. It's a bit breezy today with the odd flurry of
raindrops but a much better day than yesterday. The birds are dashing
about madly and the scent coming in the window from the Rosa Banksiae
lutea and the unknown Lonicera beside it, is just gorgeous. We have some
cardoons in one of the pond borders, beside the obelisks and their rate
of growth has been quite staggering. They're certainly extremely
eye-catching!

I've always wanted to do cardoons. Any tips? I might try some next year.

Watch out for snails and slugs when young, and otherwise quite
easy. (based on one try). We tried them blanched as plants,
blanched in water, and still called them repulsant snozzcombers.
As bitter as gall.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.