Old 12-05-2014, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Spring! Baaa Humbug!

On 2014-05-12 12:18:44 +0000, Emery Davis said:

On Mon, 12 May 2014 09:24:43 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We grow them purely for ornament, not for eating. So in our case we just
plant them and let them get on with it. They come back every year. The
only thing I'd say is that they're best in a spot which is pretty much
sheltered from the wind. This is because they grow so tall and spread so
well, that the leaves can be snapped. A cardoon in a suitable sized pot
would look spectacular as a focal point on a terrace or to lead the eye
to the bottom of a garden path.

Thanks, good to know they come back. I have a dry and somewhat sheltered
place I've thought might be good for them. Last saw some in an Abbey
garden in the Loire valley, surrounded by high walls... No doubt to
keep the epicurious off!

Definitely worth planting as perennials but do bear in mind that they
take up a lot of space if they're happy. Dryish conditions and suny are
important. We've had them go to about 5' h&w here.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com