Old 14-05-2014, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Pyracantha problem

On 14/05/2014 20:25, Jim S wrote:
I have a pyracantha (firethorn) about 5/6 years old. Last year, and again
now, the leaves have appeared thin and curled-in and although they don't
fall off I can clearly see the black bark between the thin foliage. The
flowers on the other hand don't form properly before withering.
I sprayed with a systhane fungicide, but it was either too late or the
wrong stuff. It made it no worse, but no better.
I am in the North-East and firethorn is used by the local council as
hedging so it should be fine.
Any ideas, as I am on the point of digging it up?

A picture is worth a thousand words here. Choices would be aphid on the
underside of the leaves but your mention of black bark makes me think
more of fireblight which is presently zapping my brother in laws hedge.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown