Old 14-05-2014, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Pyracantha problem

"Jim S" wrote in message ...

I have a pyracantha (firethorn) about 5/6 years old. Last year, and again
now, the leaves have appeared thin and curled-in and although they don't
fall off I can clearly see the black bark between the thin foliage. The
flowers on the other hand don't form properly before withering.
I sprayed with a systhane fungicide, but it was either too late or the
wrong stuff. It made it no worse, but no better.
I am in the North-East and firethorn is used by the local council as
hedging so it should be fine.
Any ideas, as I am on the point of digging it up?
--
Jim S

Jim, my daughter and son in law had the same problem with the 2 bushes which
formed an arch over their front door. They were advised to cut out all of
the dead stuff as it appeared. That was about 3 years ago and they are now
putting on healthy growth. They did cut them back to about 4 foot high and
are now training them back up over the door. I have a picture somewhere of
the problem and posted the link here at the time and urglers advised us.

It worked. Cut out the infected leaves and branches as they appear

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk