Old 16-05-2014, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tomin Dotsson Tomin Dotsson is offline

Default Beetroot pest?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...

What is it that is eating the leaves off my beetroot seedlings,
but not the stalks, and ignoring other stuff like lettuce in
the salad bed?

Probably slugs

It depends HOW they are being eaten. Pigeons are the other likely
culprit.

Having put the question here but then gone a'googling (the wrong way round
do things ! ) I came across a couple of suggestions that young beetroot
leaves are the joy of life to sparrows.

Well, 10 feet away is a pyrocantha hedge within which a flock of about
15 sparrows spend their days.

So, it's ex-Sainsbury's plastic punnets covering the beetroot seedlings
this morning.

The Gardener (SWMBO) has created a stack of shelves made from
plastic guttering to grow the salad stuff, so I doubt that slugs have
climbed past the cast iron bases made from an old drawing board.