Old 16-05-2014, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith in England Judith in England is offline

Default Help! what composter composts cooked food etc

On 13 May 2014 14:50:11 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Mon, 12 May 2014 10:56:02 +0200, amme wrote:

I am after a composter that i can throw anything in such as- left over
food off the diiner plates including gravy, rabbit droppings and hay,
Lots of flowers ( I am a florist so have lots of stems and leaves etc to
go in)

The problem with cooked food in a composter is not that it won't compost:
it will - if it stays there long enough to do so. More likely it will
attract every mouse, rat, fox and badger to your composter and it will be
eaten before it rots down. Look at wormeries instead for cooked food and
keep the compost heap for hay (???), rabbit droppings, grass clippings,
flowers etc.etc.

Indeed: I put lots of cooked food - including meat - in my wormery with no
problems.